Schematic representation of the dermo-epidermal junction zone (DEJZ)
- The dermo-epidermal junction zone (DEJZ) connects the epidermis and dermis.
- It is composed of a network of structural proteins, which provides a firm connection between the basal keratinocytes and the dermis.
- This structural network is made up of:
- hemidesmosome-anchoring filament complex
- basement membrane with two layers, the lamina lucida and the lamina densa
- anchoring fibrils.
- The basal keratinocytes are connected to the basement membrane via the hemidesmosome-anchoring filament complex, which in turn is connected to the dermis via anchoring fibrils.
© 2006 Netzwerk Epidermolysis bullosa